Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Food: Yummy and Dangerous

            It is important to note that I am NOT a doctor, or a nutritionist, or any kind of authority that could be considered an advice giver for health. I am, however, fully capable of discussing my experiences and the knowledge that I believe I comprehend as I understand it. Now, since that warning has been given, I want to discuss my struggles with weight and dieting.
            First of all, I have been overweight my entire adult life. I can give a multitude of excuses for this but the fact remains that some eighteen years later I am still overweight. Not just overweight but morbidly obese and that is my fault. Of course, saying that being fat is my fault creates a blaming and shaming scenario and this has got to stop. (This, however, is not the point of this blog.) Let me start with a few admissions.
            Admission number one: I am a compulsive overeater.
            Admission number two: I am an insulin resistant type 2 diabetic.
            Admission number three: I am a happily married woman with three very young children whom I would like to spend several more decades of my life with.

            I want to start with admission three. My husband loves me. Just As I Am. Of course, he is concerned about the health issues as a result of my weight and diet, but he would never tell me that I am fat. He won’t even suggest it. Hates when I refer to myself as morbidly obese. Unfortunately, children are honest, brutally so at times. They remind me often that I am large, fat, big, whatever comes to mind at the time. They are 5, 4, and 2, respectively.
            They are so young. I want to see my children graduate high school. College. I want to see them marry. I want to be able to enjoy grandchildren. Regretfully, this will probably not happen. At least, not if I don’t make some changes. Now. Like, Right NOW.
            Having said that, I can now turn to admission number one. I am a compulsive overeater. I know, some people eat because they just like food. Some people are happy with their size. Some people are healthy despite their size. Well, that is not me. And I am talking about me. I can wake up in the morning and say, I will not eat junk food today. I will pass over the yummy, yummy treats all day long and then suddenly have a toaster pastry in my hand. By the time I realize I am eating it, well, I have already eaten this much, might as well finish it. I don’t even like toaster pastries. Seriously, of the many snacks in my house, toaster pastries are one of my least favorites. So, why did I eat it? That is a great question. One that I simply do not have an answer for.
            I do like to eat. I like to eat away my problems, and by this I mean sitting down in front of the television with a feast of food and snacks and eating myself into a coma. I like to eat for celebrations and in this past month alone, there have been many. Valentine’s Day, my birthday, my children’s baptism. All of which I could have skipped the cake, candy, cookies, pies, and everything else offered, but I didn’t. Also, we had company for a week, she has dietary issues. Yes, I can cook around them, but I didn’t. We just ate out all week. Needless to say, despite being close to dropping below 300 pounds, I gained instead.
            Still, this year I am working on the motto of: No Harm. No Foul. There will not be any guilt this year. There are just going to be small changes from time to time that should eventually make a whole that I can be proud of.
            Sadly, a lifetime of poor diet and inactivity has resulted in type 2 diabetes. An insulin resistant type 2 diabetic. What does that mean? Well, it means that I cannot tolerate any amount of carbohydrates. The amount of inulin required to counteract a single carb is 2 to 1. So, for every 15 grams of carbohydrates, I have to take 30 units of insulin. And carbs are not just in candy and breads. They are in vegetables, processed meats like sausage and bacon, milk, fruit. Anything that your body breaks down into sugar is a carbohydrate. So stop eating those items.
            It should be that easy. Shouldn’t it. But as we have already covered, I am a compulsive overeater. Not just that, I am a sugar addict. Sounds funny. Hahaha. You’re addicted to sugar. I would never compare myself to someone trying to break a cocaine or heroin addiction. Unfortunately, I have woken up in the middle of the night many times, sweating despite the air conditioner being set to sixty-six, shaking uncontrollably, my heart pounding on my chest, my husband racing to get my monitor because at this point we know what is wrong. The level of sugar in my blood has crashed and I am going through withdrawal. A day or so later, the headaches will kick in, think caffeine headache level of migraine and then draw it out for a week because the only way to get past this is to push through cold turkey.
            Dieting is not easy. This is the point. If it were easy, there would not be a multibillion dollar industry promising quick fixes.
            So, what does that mean for me? Well, it still means exercise, diet, and trying to cut out diet sodas. It is both that simple and that hard.
            A few weeks ago I starting exercising, then I rolled my ankle. I needed to stay off of it. Wear a brace. Ice it down. A pitfall to be sure. I continued stretching during this time so that I would not lose my flexibility.
            I am currently watching my carbs as well. Sixty grams a day. I am attempting to replace soda with tea. Not the same substitution at all which is why I am struggling.
            Every overweight person struggles. Every person is different. Every situation is different, but this is mine. I will continue to change my diet slowly. Change the way I exercise. I know that if I continue making these small changes, sooner or later, I can be proud of what I have achieved. In a month or so, I will let you know how I am doing. I will tell you the changes that I have made. I will add some recipes I have found that work for me and my family.
            Through failure and success I will continue on.

No comments:

Post a Comment