Monday, January 5, 2015

A Quick Introduction

What is this blog about and why should you read it? Not sure I can answer either of those questions.
            I can tell you that I am a stay at home mother of three boys. The eldest, J1, is adopted and shows signs of insecurity. He enjoys observing the world around him. My second son, J2, is outgoing and has a never ending source of energy. J3, my youngest, was born with a congenital heart defect, CHD, a condition with more words than can be typed on a single line of any document.
            I failed to attain a degree after attending college on and off for nearly a decade, but have the debt for the attempt.
            In 2009, I made a change in my life by leaving a mutually abusive marriage for a chance at happiness. Later that year, I started dating the man who would become my husband and the father of my children. I also made my first attempt at Nanowrimo. This is an organization that I fully support. I have participated in the yearly November challenge, as well as Campnano, ever since. I cannot image any person hoping to become a novelist not wanting to participate in such an amazing community and I treasure the friends that I have made.
            2010 proved to be monumental. In February, my boyfriend became my fiancé. November, I participated in Nanowrimo again. I failed to achieve the 50k because I had started school and wanted to focus on graduating. In December, my fiancé became my husband.
            In 2013, I was invited to join a critique group. Critiquing and writing takes up any time left after my family. Critiquing is useful if you are interested in the truth about your work. Respectful and yet brutally honest opinions of what you have written. Yes, I have walked away disappointed that the beautifully crafted words that I read out loud for all to hear was cut to ribbons by the words of others whose mouths resembled an industrial shredder. I am grateful to be given to opportunity to rewrite the piece and make it better, clearer, more intriguing.
            2014 was painful. There was a tragic lack of writing and horrific news about J3 which resulted in a two month stay in the hospital. My husband split his time between the hospital and home, both at work and with the two older boys. My mother’s part in all of this was indispensable. I will forever be thankful to her for her sacrifice. We were able to be home for the holidays. Halloween. Thanksgiving. Christmas. Now, J3 begins to struggle more and we await our return to the hospital for the next round of surgeries.
            I spend my evenings writing, reading, and praying that what I have written will find a home with any publisher. I spend my days with my children, watching movies, reading, playing games, hugging, and loving them. Although they survived the first hospitalization it was not without effects.
            J1 stopped talking to me. He threw up his defenses so it would not hurt as much when he lost me, like he did his first two homes. This is not how it really occurred but he is too young to understand what he went through.
            “You came home,” became J2’s mantra. Every time my husband or I walked through the door. While some people found it humorous, I did not. The idea that my son had resigned himself to accept that we would not come back was saddening. It made my time in the hospital so much more unbearable.
            After J3 and my return, things slowly resembled normal again and with some urging from my husband, I participated in Nanowrimo for the sixth year in a row. Thanks to the successful writing month, I entered 2015 with the hope to become a published writer.
            So, exactly where does that leave me for 2015? My hopes this year are simple. I want to read more and write more. I want to take others on my journey in the hopes to become published while raising a unique family. Am I unique? Not really. I am me and no one else can claim that. I want to finish the first novel rewrite and get it edited before October so that I can begin sending out queries before yet another Nanowrimo. Which means I have to figure out what a query is, how to write one, and who to send it to. This is the beginning toward publication. Why look for a publisher when it is so easy to self-publish? That is a great question too and I will probably answer that question sooner or later.
            This blog is meant for you to read about my journey, to follow along as I try to become an author in the mess of my crazy life, and maybe I can learn something that will help you out in the future as well. This is me, E. Schierschmidt, and its pronounced Shire-shh-mit.

No comments:

Post a Comment