Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Father and Son Differences: It Begins

            I was supposed to be barren. So we were surprised and excited when we found out we were pregnant. Although I really wanted a girl, I asked my husband what he wanted and what were his hopes were for the kid. He wanted a healthy boy to play computer games and Legos with.
            Fast forward a few months. J2 was born two weeks earlier via an emergency C-section. My husband likes to call it J2 and my first fight. J2 was supposed to be born in December. I didn’t want to have a November baby because it would interfere with Nanowrimo. I lost the fight. After being hospitalized for high blood pressure, several nurses walked into the room and informed me that if he did not come into this world immediately, he would not enter the world alive. Dramatic, I know, but six nurses rushed in the room to rush me to the operation room, I was more focused on the idea that after nearly nine months my son may not make it. J2 was brought into this world at 1:59 pm on the last day of November.
            Fast forward again two and a half years. My husband works long hours and when he comes home he just wants to vegetate in front of his computer. While that works for J1, our adopted child, this doesn’t really work for J2. I began to notice that J2 was trying to get his attention. My husband would offer to let J2 into his lap but after a few minutes J2 grew bored and crawled out of his lap, only to want his daddy’s attention again. After an hour of this J2 walked away from his daddy defeated. Upset and angry, unable to express what was bothering him, J2 began to act out. Not understanding what was occurring, my husband would lose his temper with our misbehaving son.
            My husband has to understand. He is a mild manner, quiet guy, who is content to chill in front of his computer with his children in his lap. And while this works for J1, who is the personality twin of my husband, this does not work for J2, who is outgoing and hyperactive. That night when our children went to bed, I forced my husband accept that he and J2 were nothing alike but that it was his responsibility to figure out how to spent time with J2. Getting my husband to understand was easier than putting it into practice, as most things usually are. My husband decided it was time to pull out his “big boy” Legos. J1 enjoys this as well, but it still isn’t an activity that will keep J2s attention for very long. Play time quickly became about my husband and J1. I was disheartened.
            Silence became the key. Thankfully, one day, I walked into the boy’s room because they were being quiet. I found J1 putting a train track together for J2 to play his trains on. I left them to their activities until J1 came out of the room to play on his laptop. J2 continued being uncharacteristically quiet and once again I went to see what he was up to. I found him on the floor playing with his train. Loading and unloading cargo as the train went round and round. When my husband came home, I insisted that he spent some time playing trains with the boys. This quickly became an evening activity that all three of them could do. Trains led to building block tracks and bridges. Police chases, accidents and ambulances followed. All three of them seemed to be happy. Unfortunately, over several weeks, the sit and play activities slowly became routine. J2 began asking daddy to participate in other activities.
            Finding more activities. My husband turned to the internet. I thought about what kind of sports could be played in the house safely. (It is getting cold outside and the boys are under quarantine for the Flu and RSV season because of J3s health conditions.) Fortunately, our home has a long hallway. Any number of activities can be played there. J2s birthday coming up and Christmas not far behind, my husband and I sat down and made a list.
            Gifts. For J2s birthday, we requested my parents purchase a t-ball set, which they did and more, getting an extra ball and bat to help eliminate the sharing issue. My husband suggested to his mother that the boys would enjoy remote control cars, which he had found a twin set at a reasonable price. I wanted to get a fishing game and bowling. For Christmas, we splurged on a large joint gift for the boys. A train track with over one hundred and thirty pieces, enough for them to have their own tracks.
            Time will tell. Now that the birthday has passed and Christmas has gone, we realize how much has been gained from these gifts. The boys still fight about taking turns and while my husband is not a sports fan and will never be the one who teaches J2 how to hit a baseball, throw a football, or even dribble a soccer ball. J2, now, feels comfortable asking his dad to play trains with him. J2 will bring him the car remote in the hope to be chase around the house. J2 smiles more now that he can ask his father to spend time with him in a way that he will enjoy.

- E. Schierschmidt -

No comments:

Post a Comment